About Me

Tollesbury, Essex, United Kingdom
I was born in the Summer of 1969 in Dagenham, just on the border of East London. School was largely unproductive but enjoyable, setting me up for something of a wayward but interesting life! On leaving school I had various jobs including putting up stalls at Romford Market, working in a record shop, putting up ceilings, gardening and road sweeping. After resigning from an insurance company to play in a band, I found myself unemployed for two years. Then finally I got back on my feet and I've been a psychiatric nurse since 1997. I wrote A Cleansing of Souls when I was 22 years old and followed it up with Tollesbury Time Forever almost twenty years later. I started writing The Bird That Nobody Sees in September 2011 and it was released in July 2012. In terms of writing, my heroes are Jack Kerouac and John Steinbeck. I would also include Kris Kristofferson, Bob Dylan and Tom Waits as literary influences. So that's me I guess - scruffy, happy and in love with literary fiction, music and life...

Monday 19 December 2011

Cutting out the fluff...

So I have begun to edit Tollesbury Time Forever ready to get it published. I have my little blue book of 'Punctuation and Spelling' beside me and a serious head on. (that's head on...).

I have edited the first two chapters which I had previously considered fully edited. But how strange it is when you read it as if you are the reader and not the author! I have realised that is the trick! So instead of adding words, which I thought would be the case, I have found myself deleting words and entire sentances that, although sounded beautiful to me, added nothing to the tale. It brings to mind Yossarian in Catch-22 when he is censoring the letters or the enlisted men:

To break the monotony he invented games. Death to all modifiers, he declared one day, and out of every letter that passed through his hands went every adverb and every adjective. The next day he made war on articles. He reached a much higher plane of creativity the following day when he blacked out everything in the letters but a, an and the. That erected more dynamic interlinear tensions, he felt, and in just about every case left a message far more universal.

On another note, I have had a short story published on  http://www.close2thebone.co.uk/ It is all part of me trying to write in different styles and to different formats. It is very different to anything I have done before but I was really pleased that my first effort in the form of a short story and in the genre of what is described on the site as "gritty, interesting short fiction" has been accepted.

Oh and as you will see down the left-hand side of this page, I have added some books that particularly appeal to me for various reasons!

Well take care everybody!

Stu

No comments: